There are some steps you need to be aware of.
First requirement is that you have a working installation of XAMPP on your Mac.
- Download and place magento files as referenced in installation instructions
- Setup Database using phpmyadmin (goto: http://localhost , there will be a link on the left to goto phpmyadmin)
- Open the Terminal.app (start typing Terminal on the Spotlight, or by going into Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal.)
- Open the hosts file (by typing on the Terminal that you have just opened):
sudo vi /private/etc/hosts
Type your user password when prompted.
- Add the following entry in a new line (or extend the existing entry):
Save the file with :wq command.
- Make sure that Apache loads all required extensions. Edit the file xamppfiles/etc/php.ini and search for:
extension=mcrypt.so extension=curl.so extension=pdo_mysql.so
If there is a ; in front of the lines above, please remove it and save the file.
- Edit xamppfiles/etc/httpd.conf file and check if mod_rewrite is enabled:
LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so
If there is a # in front of the line above, please remove it and save the file.
- Restart XAMPP with the control panel
- Goto: http://www.localhostcom/magento/(replace the above “magento” with where your installation was extracted to)
- Continue with install, all should be good!
Maybe you will get a message with permission error on some directories.
Then open your Terminal.app and type in the following commands:
cd <path to your installation> chmod -R 777 app/etc chmod -R 777 var chmod -R 777 media